Facts about Mumabi
1. Before 1996 there was Bombay, then it was renamed to Mumbai. Both words were used my lyricist in their songs.
2. Area of Mumbai is 440 sq. Kilometer means 170 square miles.
3. Current population of Mumbai is 18 million approx and this will increase up to 30 million by 2020.
4. It is also the capital city of Maharashtra state and also known as Bollywood city of India.All stars are residing here.
5. Main languages in Mumbai here are Marathi, English and Hindi.
Jamshed Tata from mumbai was the first indian to own a car
6. Quit India momemt by Gandhi Ji in India was started from Mumbai in Gowalia Tank and it is known as August Kranti Maidan.
7. First railway track in India was between Bombay an thane in 1853.
8. Wooden pole in Banganga Tank, Mumbai is the centre of the earth. It is said that Lord Rama had crated this point with his arrow.
9. Fourteen platforms at the Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus,, earlier called Victoria Terminus.
10. Rudyard Kipling writer of The Jungle Book, was born in Mumbai.
11. Mumbai was a cluster of seven separate islands, and the southernmost island was called Old Woman's Island and it took 60 years to become a single island from 1784 and 1845.
12.First cricket Club of India was Orient,it was started in Bombay in 1848.
13. England cricket captain Douglas Jardine was born here Malabar Hill, Mumbai, in 1900.
14. Bombay was taken from Bom Bahia (The Good Bay), it was given by Portuguese sailor Francis Almeida, in 1508.
15. Between 1661 and 1675 the population growth rate of Mumbai increases six times from 10,000 to 60,000.
16. Sir George Oxenden the first governor of Bombay in 1668 appointed by East India company.
17. first post office in Bombay was opened in 1832 at Byculla.
18. Bomaby's first church the St Thomas Cathedral at Horniman Circle in 1718.
19. Elphinstone College was built for the Government Central Press at a cost of Rs 7.5 lakh.
20. Bombay University was founded in 1857 at the Town Hall, and in 1874 it was shifted to Oval Maidan.
21. In 2002-03, Mumbai paid Rs 28,000 crore in taxes, 35% of India's collection of Rs 82,000 crore taxes.
22.Literacy rate in Mumbai is 85.6% [ female: 82.7%, male: 90%]
23. Mumbai carries of 25% of domestic and 35% international air passengers in India.
24. Mumbai trains carries 2.2 billion passengers daily and worlds population is 6 billion only.
25. In1843 J. J. Hospital was built.
26. In 1854 First textile mill at Tardeo.
27. 1861 Mumbai High Court established.
28. In 1887 Bombay Stock Exchange was started.
29. In 1897 Arrival of first car in Mumbai.
30. In 1903 Taj Mahal Hotels was started.
31. In 1913 First movies Raja Harish Chandra direcyrd by Dada Saheb Phalke was released in Bombay.
32. Inauguration of Gateway of India took place in 1924.
33. In 1931 first taking movie ALAMARA was released.
34. Regal Cinema was opened in 1933.
35. Marine Drive was built in 1940.
36. BEST was transferred to Mumbai Municipal Corporation.
37. In 1945 Greater Bombay was in existence.
38. Air India was founded in Mumbai in 1948.
39. Mumbai was declared the capital city in 1960.
Climate of Mumbai
Average temperature in Mumbai for the year is 27.2 degree Celsius
Average precipitation in Mumbai of 242.2 cm (95.35 inches)
Temperatures in average about 30°C in summer and 18°C in winter.
Winter: December-Feb; Summer: March–May; Monsoon June-Sep and Post Monsoon Oct-Dec.