Marina Beach in Chennai Tamilnadu Tourist Attraction in Chennai
Get to know the details of one of the finest beaches in India Marina Beach. Details about holiday packages in Marina beach and attractions around marina beach is given below. Tsunami attack on Marina Beach Chennai details are also enclosed.
Marina Beach is the most famous beaches of Tamilnadu and is situated in the city of Chennai. It is considered as one of the largest beaches not only in India but also in the world. Marina Beach begins from the famous building St. George Fort and travells till Besant Nagar in the south which covers total of 13 km. The width of the beach at the widest stretch is 437 meters.
The Marina beach in Chennai is surrounded by many famous buildings that includes British Raj Senate House of the University of Madras, vicinity is the Ice House, Presidency College, Chepauk Palace and Director General of Police main office. We can also find Chennai famous aquarium.
Attractions at Marina Beach Chennai
If you are searching for the best tourist attraction in Chennai among beaches here it is. Marina beach is a major tourist attraction and ranks No.1 in Chennai Beaches. Many people who visit Chennai never leave the city without visiting it. I can proudly say that visiting to the Marina Beach is an enchanting experience for a traveler.
1. Marina Beach is marked by a number of statues of Tamil scholars, patriots, and noted personalities like Mahatma Gandhi, Thiruvalluvar, Sir Thomas Munro, Kamarajar, Periyar and the Statue of Labor. The Anna and MGR samadhis of the popular chief ministers of the state are also build here.
2. Artificial water fountain and a park. Water fountain is famously known as Marina Waterfall
3. The Aquarium: It has a collection of tropical sea fishes and fresh water fishes.
4. Vivekananda House or the Ice house.
5. Viewing the sun set and sunrise from the beach is a mesmerizing experience.
6. Light House, which provides a panoramic view of the city
Tsunami attack on Marina Beach Chennai
As we know on December 26, 2004 Tsunami attacked Marina beach and claimed a lot of lives. The giant Tsunami waves came onto the road and some areas of the city which left a lot of damage and unbalance to the life and property. The positive note is that, despite of what happened in the past. the beach has regained its pristine beauty and stood still with pride.
What is the best time to visit Marina Beach
The Marina Beach can be ideally visited in the early mornings or in the late evenings. The Sunday afternoon market is worth a visit.