Tamilnadu Special-Payasam and Khichidi using Oats
Ingredients required to make Payasam and Khichidi using Oats
* Thin coconut milk-500ml
* Thick coconut milk-200ml
* Cardamoms(ground)-1 teaspoon
* Almonds, Cashews(fried) and raisins-1 tablespoon(each)
Method to prepare Oats Payasam
* Wash the Oats and cook it in thin coconut milk till it is soft and tender.
* Add the jaggery and stir till it dissolves.
* Add the thick coconut milk and cook on a low flame for some time.
* Remove vessel from stove and garnish with ground cardamom powder, almonds, fried cashews and raisins.
Note: Coconut milk can be replaced by plain milk which makes it a Kheer. Jaggery should be added at the end. It can be served hot or cold.
Oats Khichidi ingredients
* Oats-1 cup
* Rice(washed & drained)-1 cup
* Chopped onions-1/2 cup
* Cinnamon stick-2 inches
* Cloves-4 nos.
* Cardamoms-3 nos.
* Bay leaves-2 nos.
* Masoor dal(split red lentils washed & drained)-1 cup
* Potato(cut into cubes)-2 cups
* French beans(cut into small pieces)-10 to 12 nos.
* Green Peas-1/2 cup
* Green Chillies(chopped)-3 nos.
* Turmeric powder-1/2 teaspoon
* Garlic(crushed)- 4 nos.
* Grated Ginger pieces-25mm
* Ghee-1 tablespoon
* salt-to taste
Methods to prepare Oats Khichidi
* Crush the cinnamon, cloves and cardamoms lightly.
* Heat ghee in a vessel and fry the onions, Add the crushed spices and bay leaves and fry for a few seconds.
* Add rice, masoor dal, potatoes, fried beans, green peas, green chillies, turmeric powder, garlic and ginger.
* mix well and cook for 2 minutes.
* Add 5 and half cups of hot water and salt. Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until the vegetables and rice are half cooked.
* Add Oats, mix well and fully cook the vegetables and rice.
* Oats Khichidi is prepared now serve hot.