You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Culture & Festivals

We need a lot more information about our own people for tolerance

As Indians, we often pride ourselves in unity in diversity. Yet, there are some rather vehement noises about one nation, one language, and one whatever. This is the most dangerous part of the very concept of unity in diversity. Every fifty kilometers, we even have food that is different.

For example, the South Karnataka food is totally different from the North Karnataka food. The concept of Neer Dosa ( a variety of Dosa) available in Mangalore, is influenced by the neighboring Kerala. This is generally not to be found in most hotels of Bangalore at all.

Similarly, even within AP, there are spots where the food is very spicy, but it is not so spicy in other parts of the same State, for example, Chittoor, which borders Tamil Nadu. We need tolerance and understanding of a very tall order. We often see some discussions on social media where we see hatred for some opinion of some State, merely because that particular State does not accept Hindi as the main language.

The list goes on. Worse, people are shocked and amazed how Kerala and Tamil Nadu have made terrific progress in Higher Education. They even fail to understand the concept of empowerment of all castes and communities and not restrict the concept of higher education to the Brahmins and the few so-called upper castes. We need a lot more understanding to get to understand the wider implications of the socio-cultural realities of any State. We need to spend time in other places.
    The author is right. When we visit Udupi, Karnataka in 2011 only I first time tasted the Neer dosa in Hotel Sidharth. As it was very tasty and I did not know the ingredients etc., I just enquired the person in the cash counter about the neer dosa. He immediately called a person in Kannada and asked him to sit in the counter. Then he took me to kitchen and told the preparation of Neer dosa in English. Really it was very tasty and we prepared in our house at Chennai after reaching. All our relatives enjoyed.

The erudite author has stated: "Worse, people are shocked and amazed how Kerala and Tamil Nadu have made terrific progress in Higher Education. They even fail to understand the concept of empowerment of all castes and communities and not restrict the concept of higher education to the Brahmins and the few so-called upper castes. "------------------

Perhaps that is the reason we see Bihari labours are attacked and forcibly evicted from the state of Tamil Nadu under the present regime. Perhaps, due to so-called high level of education, we see murder of pregnant elephant in an unthinkably brutal manner in Kerala.

Perhaps due to very high level of education and empowerment in these two states, the number of people joining ISIS is increasing day-by-day.

In my humble opinion, time has come to call out the propaganda of those people who live in 'gated communities' developed in their own mind.

"Tera chehra kitna suhana lagta hain; Tere aage chand purana lagta hain"--Kaif Bhopali

• Sign In to post your comments