We lost the man who taught us to increase agricultural produceOur India is an Agricultural Country. We are in the top most list of agricultural products in the world. To have a crown on this subject, that too with a diamond on it, is because of Geneticist M. S. Swaminathan. He left this world on 11.15 am on 28th September 2023 at his 98th year of age.
He last his breath in his residence at Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
* He was born at Kumbakonam, Tamil Nadu, had his schooling at Kumbakonam and awarded with Doctorate from Cambridge University.
* He was awarded first World Food Prize in 1987
* He was awarded Padma Shri in 1967, Padma Bhushan in 1972 and Padma Vibushan in 1989
* He conferred award of Magsaysay in 19714
* He was given Shanthi Swaroop Bhatnagar Award in 1961
* He was given Albert Einstein World Award in 1986
* He got selected as Honorary authors of TIME magazine in the year 1999
* He is the person meant for Green Revolution
According to him, to become grain surplus, promoting the use of hybrid varieties and chemical fertilizers as the need of the hour.
He used to say, "If agriculture goes wrong, nothing else will have a chance to go right".
As a result of his adapted suggestions in agriculture, in Punjab alone the production of wheat increased five fold in five years i.e., from 1.91 million tonnes in 1965-66 to 5.15 million tonnes in 1970-71.
We lost a great man and will remember him in our every food.