Recipe of Ethnic dish of Assamese: Khar
Kharis very ethnic, unique and healthy dish of Assam. The main ingredient of khar is unripe papaya. Papaya khar is good for stomach as it cleanses the stomach well. It is very popular dish of Assamese. It is one of the ethnic dishes Assam. In traditional khar banana is used, the banana of variety bheem khol is used with full of seeds, but soda can be used as substitute.
If you want to enjoy some ethnic dish of eastern India than try out Khar of Assam.
It is very unique and healthy. The main ingredient of khar is unripe papaya. Papaya khar is good for stomach as it cleanses the stomach well. It is very popular dish of assamese. It is one of the ethnic dishes Assam. In the traditional Assamese meal, one begins with the khar, usually with rice.
In traditional khar banana is used, the banana of variety bheem khol is used with full of seeds. The banana is dried and then burn to make the ashes. Then water is filtered from the ashes and this water is called as kola orkol khar, another main ingredient of khar. But as the substitute we will use soda.
Now let's start with recipe
1. Red chilly
2. Green chillY
3. Unripe papaya
4. Bicarbonate of soda
5. Mustard oil
6. Bay leaf
1. Scooped out the seeds from the unripe papaya.
2. Cut the papaya in to very small pieces.
3. Heat the mustard oil and then add bay leaf, red chillis in hot oil.
4. Add the seeds. Papaya, green chillis.
5. Add salt to taste.
6. Now add ¾ tablespoon of bicarbonate of soda or if you get bheem khol variety of banana then it will be a plus point, in that case use the above method to get the water of banana, and use that water instead of soda.
7. Now stir well al of them, at reduce heat a, with a cover on your utensil.
8. Cook for 12 minutes till the papaya soften.
9. Now if papaya is soften, and then stir it at raised het to evaporate the excess water.
10. Now your khar is ready to serve
11. Serve the khar with rice.
12. Serve khar in start of your meal.