You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Health & Fitness

Importance of food in life

As we all know food is essential for human beings as well as animals. But still, in this world, there are people who waste food every day. Take our own country, India has a population of 140 crores. There are many people in our country who sleep on empty stomachs every night. And on the other hand every day at weddings and birthdays, too much food is wasted. Instead, they can give this food to the poor people. Food is important for everyone. So, wasting food this way should be prevented.
    What I fail to understand is why people heap up their plates and then waste the food. Consider a marriage function. If it is a buffet, then you are selecting what you want. So why not finish it completely? Why take something that you will not eat? Even if it is a traditional sit-down, where food is served on a plantain leaf, you can surely say no if you do not want something. It is true that the servers move along the line of guests at a fair pace, but still, all you need to do is put both hands across above the leaf, ask what it is that is being served, and politely say no if you are not going to eat it. For example, if I do not want to eat deep fried food like puris or pakodas or jalebis, I will not take it from the buffet counter/not accept it from the server.

I also see a lot of people taking pickle, onion rings, cucumber pieces, tomato slices, and chutney that is at the start of the buffet and then leaving it untouched on their plate. Lemon wedges also go waste needlessly.

Another thing that is wasted is drinking water. Never take a glass of water or a bottle and leave it half-finished whether in a restaurant, at home, or at a function. It will just get thrown away. We all know that our planet's water resources are drying up and have seen for ourselves within our own country dry river beds and drought situations that destroy a farmer's crops. It is such a criminal waste of such an important element that sustains both human and animal lives.

I appreciate the author for her concern about wasting food. There are many people who are hungry and not able to have a meal at least once a day.
    Now there are some people who are trying to collect waste food from functions and that is being distributed to people who are having no food. I have seen some posts on Social Media mentioning the phone numbers to which we can make a call.
    Buffet dinner or lunch is actually good to control wastage, if the people are sensible enough. The plate is in their hands, They know how much they can eat and what are their preferences. Even then people fill their plates and leave food on the plate. All people should think about this and should avoid wasting food.
    During my brother's daughter's marriage, the number of guests expected was more and actual attendance was less. So food sufficient for 50 people was left over. Then we handed over that food to an orphanage near by and the same was served to the kids as dinner.

food though varies from state to state, person to person, place to place but is very much important to one at all levels. Similarly if a person is agreeable to any sort of food on occasions, his mind and stomach will get satisfied only if he take his food according to his practice. We, Tamilians, normally takes rice as main item in every day life especially in the afternoons, When we occasionally happens to take only rotis or biriyani or mixed rice instead of routine rice with sambar, rasam and curd, there is a lesser satisfaction though the belly is full at that time.
    There was a famous Tamil writer names Mr. Manian (also called as Idhayam Pesukiradhu Manian) who travelled almost all parts of the world and wrote a good books on his travelling experience but we can see some where about food in all his books. One day I happened to meet him in our advocate office. I told him that the experience about food in travelling places is different as I have also got similar in many places.
    One time When I visited Chandigarh, I got meals in a hotel. When I asked the waiter for curd after reserved some cooked plain rice for mixing with curd, I got reply that no curd was there to supply. Disappointed myself with some Idea I asked khatta lassi. I got it for an additional cost and ate by added that in the rice.

• Sign In to post your comments