Tamilnadu Variety rice Bisibelabath (Sambar rice) recipe
Bisibelabath is a special variety rice recipe of Tamilnadu. This is served in all the functions like marriage, birthday, etc. This is also known as Sambar rice, or Sambar saadam. This is good for health and it is well-cooked so that even babies can also have it. The hot and spicy Bisibelabath takes you to a different world. You will forget everything about the world and start relishing the taste of this wonderful variety rice of Tamilnadu.You need not go to the hotel for tasting this. Read the article to know how to prepare this Spicy Sambar rice in your kitchen. Serve this with Spicy-baby-potatoes-Kutti-Urulai-Kari for getting an additional taste.
Ingredients for making Tamilnadu style Bisibelabath (Sambar rice) recipe
Toor dal – 1/2 cup
Vegetables - 1 cup ( carrot, beans & peas)
Tomatoe - 1 medium sized
Onino- 1 medium sized
Tamarind - small lemon size
Small onions – 5
Sambar-podi - 1/2tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/2tsp
Salt - To taste.
Water - 4cups'
Ingredients to make Bisibelabath powder
Dry coconut(copra) - 2tbsp
dhania - 1tbsp
red chilli - 4-5(kashmiri chillies)
bengal gram dal - 1tsp
Methi seeds - 1/4 tsp
clove - 2
cinnamon - 1" piece
pepper - 1tsp
A pinch of asafoetida
Method for preparing Tamilnadu variety rice recipe Bisibelabath (Sambar rice)
1) Pressure cook the rice and dal Dal along with sliced tomatoes, onion and cubed vegetables.
2) Fry and Grind all the ingredients given under Ingredients to make Bisibelabath powder.
3) Heat oil in a kadai, splutter mustard seeds and urad dal along with curry leaves.
4) Now add the small onions and fry till an aroma comes from fried onions.
5) Add tamarind water to this along with bisibelabath powder, sambar powder, turmeric powder, salt and add little amount of water.
6) When the content starts boiling add the pressure cooked rice and dal contents.
6) Mix well and allow this to stand for 5 minutes.
8) Finally add Ghee and serve hot with Kutti-Urulai-Kari and appalam.