Tamilnadu Special Chettinad Vegetable Biryani recipe
Chettinad Vegetable Biryani is popular in Chettinad and all over the world. This is a special biryani recipe of Karaikudi which is known of its spicy taste. Read the article and try this authentic Chettinad recipe.
Ingredients for making Chettinad Vegetable Biryani
Basmati rice - 1 1/2 cup
Carrot - 1
Beans - 10
Potato - 1
Cauliflower - small flowerets 1/2 cup or chopped
Green peas - 1/4 cup
Onion - 1 small sliced
Ginger - 1/2 inch piece
Garlic - 5 cloves
Fennel seeds - 1 tsp
Green chilies - 3
dry Red chilies - 3
Fresh mint leaves - a few 10- 15 leaves
Coriander leaves - 1/4 cup
Cinamon - 1 inch pieces -- 2
Cloves - 4
Bay leaves - 2
Fennel seeds - 1/2 tea sp
Coconut milk - 1 cup
Water - 2 cups
Ghee - 1 tab sp
Salt to taste
Tomato puree - 2 tbsp or 1/4 cup chopped tomato
Oil - 1 tbsp
Preparation method of Chettinad Vegetable Biryani
1. Wash and soak the basmati rice for 15 - 20 min.
2. Add the Chilies,ginger, garlic, fennel seeds, mint and coriander leaves in a blender and make them into a fine paste.
3. Heat ghee in a pan and add rice to the ghee, fry the rice remove and keep a side.
4. Now heat oil in a pan and add cinamon, clove, fennel seeds, bay leaves and then add the sliced onion and fry till soft.
5. Add vegetables and fry well and then add the masala from the blender, tomato puree and saute well.
6. Add the coconut milk, water and the required amount of salt and then add the rice when the mixture starts to boil.
7. Mix well and then cover and cook in a pressure pan till 2 whistles.
Serve hot with onion pachadi.