You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Travel Trips & Tips

Kanyakumari and Nagercoil are famous for these dishes

When you go to Kanyakumari to see the Tiruvalluvar statue, watch sunrise and sunset in summer, you can always stay at Nagercoil that is much cheaper, is a beautiful place and has terrific natural environs all around.

There are one or two famous dishes at Nagercoil and Kanyakumari. One is called the rasavada. One must actually taste this dish, and this is nothing but a normal vada or the masal vada dipped in rasam, a staple diet in all South Indian lunches.

The rasam in Tamil Nadu is different from the AP or the Karnataka or Kerala varieties. Yet, it is quite common everywhere.

Then, one can also find out the "aappam". This is a variation of the Dosa and it is sometimes made without oil as well. The coconut extract is given as a side dish. There are hotels that serve some sambar and some varieties of chutnies as well. One can also find some good small hotels in the small bylanes as well and they are also very much available at very cheap prices. There are hundreds of local buses and just do not spend money on autos or the taxis.
    Interesting information about a few popular dishes in these areas in the state of Tamil Nadu. When I was in Chennai I had tasted these dishes in the local restaurants. I am not sure whether they were same as that offered in Nagarcoil and Kanyakumari.

That would depend on the method of preparation. If the Chefs ars from the particular regions, but now serving in Chennai, the taste is expected to be the same.

Till not so long ago, that is, before the founder died of heart failure, the famous Saravana Bhavan group of hotels perfected a methodology of serving the same kind of superb chutney at every branch in Chennai and everywhere in the world, where it still has its branches.

Of late, the old taste is gone. However, the new competitors like Murugan Iddli shop and the Sangeetha group of hotels are also the same quality across their branches.

Sorry. Read Sangeetha group of hotels are providing the same quality across their branches.

• Sign In to post your comments