You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Games & Sports

How to season a cricket bat

Seasoning of cricket bats is an essential process to improve the performance and durability of the bats. The top-level batters spend considerable time and money to season their cricket bats. Let us try to understand its importance and know how to season a cricket bat. I hope young batters would be benefitted from this post.

Seasoning of a cricket bat involves preparing the willow wood (cricket bats are made from willow wood) for improved rebound and to prevent cracks in the bat after prolonged use.

To season a cricket bat, the batter (who is going to use the bat) must start by knocking-in the bat. It is done by a wooden mallet to gently tap the face, edges, and toe of the bat. This process compresses the fibers of the willow and prepares the surface of the bat for impact. Special attention is required to the edges and sweet spots (middle) of the bat.

Thereafter, a coat of raw linseed oil to the face, edges, and back of the bat is applied. A clean cloth is used to evenly spread the oil. Then the bat is dried for twenty-four hours. This process is repeated two to three times to ensure complete absorption of the linseed oil. Then the bat is placed in a horizontal position in a cool and dry place. The bat must not be subjected to a very hot or cool environment.

Finally, the bat must be used for net practice. If the batter (and also the coach) is satisfied with the seasoning, only then the particular bat is used in competitive matches.

The budding cricketers must remember that seasoning of cricket bats requires patience and it is imperative that they themselves do the seasoning to get satisfactory performance.

(Competition entry: December 2023 Topic-based contest)
    I appreciate the author for providing such a useful and interesting information about seasoning of a cricket bat.
    Seasoning a cricket bat and then using it with utmost perfection is required in cricket for any good player.
    I understand that the cricket bats available in the market today must have got it seasoned by the manufacturer and if not so then the person who has bought it has to prepare it accordingly.

Thanks to Umesh Sir for reading this post.

Even if the bat is seasoned, the top level batters do seasoning of their own bats regularly. I have seen many international-level cricketers doing this. Apart from seasoning, cricketers are very selective about the weight of the bat, edge, size of the handle and some other finer aspects. Each batter has his/her own preference.

"Tera chehra kitna suhana lagta hain; Tere aage chand purana lagta hain"--Kaif Bhopali

I think this is the thread for the competition. A very nice attempt from the author.
    I like to add that the wood that is being used for making any item should be seasoned before they use it. In the same way, I feel the wood used for making a cricket bat will also be used before making a bat. In addition to that as mentioned by the author there will be a process of seasoning the bat during its making as well as after final making.
    As mentioned by the author individual batsman will season their own bat also. Some people use heavy bats and some may use light bats. Stroke players may use heavy bats. The same player may use different bats for different formats of the game.
    A good narration and information from the author and my sincere thanks to him for the same.

• Sign In to post your comments