You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Health & Fitness

SocialVillage Wellness Wednesday: Stretch and Release

It's Wellness Wednesday, which means it's time to take some time for yourself and focus on your physical and mental health. One great way to do this is to stretch and release. Stretching helps to improve your flexibility, range of motion, and circulation. It can also help to reduce stress and improve your mood.

There are many different ways to stretch. You can do static stretches, which involve holding a stretch for a period of time, or dynamic stretches, which involve moving your body through a range of motion. You can also find stretches that target specific muscle groups.

If you're new to stretching, it's a good idea to start slowly and gradually increase the intensity of your stretches. You should also listen to your body and stop if you feel any pain.

Here are a few simple stretches that you can try on Wellness Wednesday:

• Neck stretch: Gently tilt your head to the right, hold for a few seconds, and then tilt your head to the left. Repeat this several times.

• Shoulder stretch: Bring your right arm across your chest and reach for your left shoulder. Hold for a few seconds, and then repeat with your left arm.

• Back stretch: Stand up straight and reach your arms overhead. Bend forward from the waist and reach for your toes. Hold for a few seconds, and then slowly straighten up.

After you've stretched, take some time to relax. You can do this by sitting quietly, listening to music, or taking a warm bath.

Wellness Wednesday is a great day to take some time for yourself and focus on your health. Stretching and releasing is a simple way to do this. So get out there and stretch your way to a healthier you!

Villagers!, contribute to our Wellness Wednesday activity:

We're also asking our villagers to share their favourite Wellness Wednesday activities. What do you like to do to take care of your physical and mental health on Wednesdays? Share your activities in the comments below!

Thanks Dr. Apurva for the beneficial advice. I think these are great Wellness activities for any day, and not just for a Wednesday! Some years back, my physio had told me to do the first one that you have mentioned. Others recommended by her was just raising the head up to look at the ceiling, and bringing it back. These two were for neck exercises. Stretching exercises recommended by her to loosen up the arms was simply to raise them one at a time and lower them. She emphasized the importance of doing any exercise slowly and not at speed!!

Also, elderly people should be very cautious and ideally have someone present nearby when doing the exercises on their own independently of physio sessions.

A very nice advisory by the author. All those who are engaged in the activity of writing or working on mobile and laptop for them taking a break and stretching is a very important activity and this post reminds for it in a very lucid fashion.
    We have a group of senior citizens who are retired from their active working lives and we assemble in the morning in the nearby garden and some of us undertake some basic exercises including stretching of neck, back, and hands. We try to do it daily but sometimes we are unable to go there. Still we are able to make it at least three to four days a week.

Dr Apurva explained the importance of some physical exercises. Recently I have undergone a training programme online conducted by the ISHA foundation. Some Yoga activities are taught in that and recently I started doing these activities every day for about 20 minutes. But the activity is the same all the days. There are no different activities based on the weekday. The author can give some more simple activities that can be performed by people of all ages.

• Sign In to post your comments